Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Towns Along the Way: Kenai

We wandered around the little town of Kenai a bit before heading north back to Eagle River after our weekend down on the penninsula. There was this beautiful little park sitting on the edge of the bluff above the mouth of the river. I don't know if Erik Hansen did this park as part of a scout project, or if it is in memory of him - couldn't find anything that told. It was a very quiet, peaceful place with wonderful views.
The mouth of the river and the ocean from the edge of the park --
This is another view from the park. The sign said this mountain is across 25 miles of water. It's really hard to get a perspective in this small picture, but like the mountains in some of the other pictures in other posts, it looked really huge rising up out of the mist, and hard to believe it was that far away.

The following 3 pictures were taken through a fence surrounding some buildings that had been part of a fort. I thought I had gotten more pictures of this place, but I guess not... They aren't anywhere to be found, anyway!

This Model T has skis in the front and tracks on the back wheels. Looks like a fun little "snow machine"!
...and if you think you might like to buy it, it's even for sale!

Here's a little cabin that was slowly sinking into the ground. I think the hole Tori is looking into must have been a root cellar or something at one time. I'm not sure why else there would be a deep hole dug right outside the cabin.

An old Russian Orthodox church~~
~~And the newer one located across the street.
We stepped inside to look around. They have a little gift shop just inside the front door (very expensive, but Mom did find a postcard to buy). They were raising money to do some work on the building.

No comments: