Saturday, October 17, 2009

AK '09: Where The Wild Things Are

It's way past time to get some of last summer's Alaska pictures loaded on here!! For the most part, I'll try to put on things that are different from last year - no sense repeating myself ;)

If you'll bear with me, I'll start out with some wildlife pictures -- I know - I had most of these same species on here last year, but I'm pretty sure these are different animals - gotta give them all their turn in the spotlight!



These are part of the first herd of caribou that Kent and Roger went out after with their bows (actually there were two different herds here, but the other one was too far away to get pictures of). We saw them about a mile off the highway, so pulled over in a nice wide area. As the guys (Kyler went out with them) went around behind them, they moved up closer to us. Even though they appeared to get pretty close to the campers, I'm sure they were still too far away to get a shot off, had one of the hunters stayed behind. They spent several hours trying to get close enough, but with no cover to hide behind, it's really difficult to 'sneak up' on them!

Wouldn't it have been nice if they had each gotten one of these guys?!


We saw a couple of herds of musk ox on the Dalton Hwy (headed north toward Pruhoe Bay). It was rainy and dark-ish, and they were pretty far away from the road, so it was hard to get a good picture. It was our "new" animal to see this year ;)


This brown bear was strolling down the highway enjoying the sunshine. There was a bicycle rider stopped down the road a little way, wondering just what he should do :) We pulled over beside the bear (it was on the opposite side of the road) and gently herded it toward the brush with the truck (not much traffic!), then stayed there until the bicycler crossed to the other side and rode on by and got further on his way. The picture was taken through the dirty windshield of the truck, so isn't very clear


Roger spotted this black bear when we were on the Top of the World Hwy, shortly after we crossed from Alaska into the Yukon on our way home

A little more zoomed in...


A deer, and some moose shots--




This moose was in a river below the highway. I had a hard time getting a shot when she had her head in the water pulling up dinner off the bottom, then when I did get one, it turned out really dark - not sure why...



These 3 were in a little slough alongside the road just outside of Anchorage



I love stone sheep - the little guys are just sooo cute!
This momma and her little one were right below the edge of the road - and there conveniently happened to be a handy pullout area just past them

...and some more that wandered across the road in front of us at another place

There are a LOT of stone sheep on the road! Their coloring really blends right in with the rocks they clamber around on.





And the ever present buffalo who own the road -- and if they're on it, you just wait your turn!



No comments: